Saturday, December 6, 2008

Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed?

This is a pencil portrait of the Rottweiler that was my closest companion for years. It was done when he was older, starting to feel the effects of arthritis during the northern winters. He would sneak into the bedroom and nap on the heated waterbed when I was out doing chores even though he knew it was not something he was allowed to do.

"Who's been sleeping in my bed?" was always my first comment when I caught him ... and he always responded with this very typical Rottweiler expression, flattened ears and the "oops ... must have been sleepwalking again" look.


He was the epitome of the working Rottweiler, intelligent, attentive, quick to respond and selectively sensible about his duties. He travelled with me hauling horses and he was my shadow at home.


This is probably the most detailed pencil portrait I have ever done, hours went into the shading on the satin coverlet surrounding him, but it was for me, definitely a labor of love. The portrait hangs on my wall and will always be one of my most cherished possessions.







1 comment:

Jami Davenport said...

Sharon, I had to stop by and comment on this post. I have an old Rott (17 to be exact), and he tries to sneak into places where he, too, can warm those old bones.

BTW, I caught this post when I was googling my book title, "Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed?" I saw it was your post and said to myself: I know her.

Isn't it a small world?