Friday, December 19, 2008

Baptist Church - Eubank, Kentucky

Old buildings have always fascinated me, out west it was the ghost towns, old mines and deserted homestead cabins and now Kentucky has given me very different subjects for camera and pencil.

In particular I have found the number of old churches endlessly interesting, churches that have been in use for generations.

This particular church, the Eubank Baptist Church, I photographed the first year I was in Kentucky. While it was no longer in use as a church, it was still being used for meetings. An imposing building on a corner at the main intersection of the town, it had been a landmark for the residents for many years.

Sadly, it was torn down just a few years after I took the photographs, age and a lack of repairs making the building no longer safe. Many people I spoke to during the demolition were sad that it was no longer going to be a part of their lives and even now you will often hear residents say it just doesn't seem right to not see the church on the corner.

These are the kind of buildings I enjoy documenting, whether they are still in use or have passed on into memory. I often find myself wishing that they had voices and I could sit and listen to the stories, as I've listened to the stories of some of the "old timers" as they remembered events in their lives. How much could we learn by listening!




No comments: