Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Weltstern

This is a memorial portrait in graphite of my foundation Oldenburg stallion, Weltstern, who was truly a once in a lifetime horse. Imported from Germany, I purchased him as a 9 year old and loved him dearly until his death in 2012, at the age of 30. He was always a gentleman in all ways, well mannered, responsive and people oriented and I will forever be grateful for the opportunity to have had him in my life.

It was nearly 5 years after his death that I was able to finish this portrait, so was reduced to working from two low-resolution photos taken many years before but I feel I managed to capture the essence of this incredible animal, his brilliance and his intelligence.

I have always particularly enjoyed the challenge of memorial portraits, even having to often work from less than ideal photographs and being aware of the emotional connection between the animal and the owner. It is never easy but the rewards are great.

Portraits may be commissioned in graphite, colored pencil or pastels with prices starting at $125.00 and increasing based on size and the complexity of the image. If you are interested in commissioning a portrait, without obligation, please contact me by email at kaleidoscopefarm@gmail.com or by  telephone at (606) 379-05140.


No comments: